Breast Cancer Community
Palpable breast lump

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Palpable breast lump

I have had three excisional biopsies in the last 4 years.  Two for calcifications which came back Atypical Hyperplasia in the left breast in 2004, and one for a palpable mass in the right in 7/2008. That pathology was negative but did show sclerosing adenosis and calcifications.  I now have two palpable lumps in the left breast that we have been watching since 11/08.  I go back to the surgeon on 1/12/08, do you think these need to be removed also and how many times do I keep doing this?  The last mammogram and ultrasound didn't show the lump at all because of density.
The need to remove these lumps would be a decision best made by your Surgeon or your family physician and it would depend on several factors. MRI is quite good at picking up things in the case of dense breast tissue. As to how many times you need to do this; as long as necessary I suppose unless you would opt for some surgical intervention such as bilat. mastectomy. That's a pretty drastic move but I have known women who have chosen this path. I'm certainly NOT recommending this; just stating another option.  Regards ....
Your surgeon will definitely be able to give you good input, but you will have to remove as many lumps or suspicious areas as it takes! At this point I've lost count how many excisional biopsies I have had, but I take the advice of my surgeon and also respect my gut feelings, and remove those lumps or suspicious areas that are changing or growing.

The fact that we've had multiple excisional biopsies does put us at a slightly higher risk for breast cancer, but it's all worth it to catch something quickly and begin treatment if necessary as soon as possible. I do agree, it's a total pain to deal with ... but you're worth it. Let us know what your surgeon recommends!