Papilloma removal question
My mommogram and ultrasound indicated that I have a pipilloma in one breast.  I saw a surgeon who suggested that I have it removed.  I don't have pain or discharge and I'm concerned that having surgery to remove may not be the best thing.  I would like to have a recomendation. Thank you.
The excision of papillomas is the standard of care. The primary reason for removing a papilloma is to be certain that a papillary carcinoma is not "hiding" and the full pathology exam is the only and best way to make certain no malignant cells are present. Papillary carcinoma is quite rare, accounting for only 1% to 2% of all breast cancer patients.

The majority of these lesions are benign on pathology and there is no direct indication that they will grow back.  The risk of developing breast cancer after having a benign papilloma is only slightly increased over the risk of the general population developing breast cancer.

Best wishes...