Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Pathology Results

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Pathology Results

Hi, my sister had a Mastectomy on 15th of April, and got her final pathology report. Doctor told her that she doesn’t need any further treatment and also medication after seeing her final pathology report. But I did not see her GENE test result in her report. Please explain me her condition and will it be OK, if she doesn’t take any treatments and medications. What are the chances of re occurrence? I read couple of postings for false negative. Her doctor performed the test in almost 100 places of the extracted mass.

FINAL DIAGNOSIS:

Lymph Node: Right-Sentinel Lymph node Biopsy Negative for Tumor (0/1)
Lymph Nodes Axilla, Right
Dissection: Negative for Tumor. No lymph node tissue is identified. Fibrofatty Breast      tissue with Psedudo/Ngiomatous Stromal Hyperplasia.
Tumor Location: Right Breast
Invasive Component: Negative
Intra Ductal Carcinoma: High grade, solid type, with necrosis, (Comedo necrosis)
Distance from closest margin: 3mm
Micro calcification: Present, associated with ductal carcinoma in site
Nipple: The large lactiferous ducts are involved by ductal carcinoma in situ.

Pathologic Tumor Stage: pTisNOMX

Estrogen Receptor (Clone 1D5)           Negative
Progesterone Receptor (Clone 1A6)    Negative

Dear sai387:  DCIS (ductal carcinoma in situ) is an early cancer.  Usually no further treatment is needed after a complete mastectomy. Radiation is often given after a partial mastectomy and, in that situation, tamoxifen is often also recommended if the estrogen receptor is positive (that does not appear to be your sister’s case). Your sister may benefit from further discussion with her doctors regarding her individual case.  Gene testing is not generally a part of a pathology report.  If your sister had genetic testing, this would be reported separately and her doctor would discuss this with her.  

Dear Sai387

According to the report your sister has DCIS. Please read this reference. You could also visit the site.
"If you have ductal cancer in situ (DCIS), it means that cells inside some of the ducts of your breast have started to turn into cancer cells.  These cells are all inside the ducts and have not started to spread into the surrounding breast tissue.  So, there is very little chance that any of the cells have spread to the lymph nodes or elsewhere in the body. Some doctors call it a pre-cancerous condition because it may go on to develop into an invasive cancer if it is not treated.  DCIS is becoming more common.  This is because it is being picked up on mammograms when women are screened for breast cancer.
In the past, the recommended treatment for DCIS was nearly always mastectomy.  This cures virtually all cases of DCIS because all the affected tissue is removed before an invasive cancer has a chance to develop.
Now most centres remove only the area of DCIS, with a border of healthy tissue around it.  This is called wide local excision or conservative surgery.  The DCIS cells are examined under a microscope, and if they are high grade, your doctor will suggest radiotherapy to the rest of the breast tissue.  This is to kill off any abnormal cells left behind."http://www.cancerhelp.org.uk/help/default.asp?page=3300

I would suggest that though your sister had a very early stage of cancer, but her cells are reported as high grade. My advice is to take a second opinion regarding radiotherapy.Most probably radiotherapy or medications will not be required as she had conventional masectomy. But there is no harm in taking another opinion.

Also was the gene test done? Do you have a family history? If the test was done you could ask your doctor about it.

Please let us know if you have something else in mind.

Best
Doctornee

Thank you Doctornee & Cleveland Clinic,

We do not have a family history of Breast Cancer", in fact any type of cancer in past 3 generations as far as I know. Gene test did not perform on her. DO you have any idea, why they did not perform that test? And also, I read in some web site saying that, after the Mastectomy the re occurrence place is the chest wall. Is it true?

She had an early menstruation at the age of 11 and got the 2nd pregnancy at the age of 32.

Thank You.