Breast Cancer Community
Persistant Seroma after masectomy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Persistant Seroma after masectomy

I am 58 and had a total masectomy and removal of sentenal node almost three months ago.  The drainage tube was removed three weeks after surgery.  Since then I have still had a build up of fluid which has been removed through a needle every week to two weeks.  I am an active person.  Is it possible that I am causing this persistant seroma to exist through excess activity or overusing my left arm--site of the surgery?  My surgeon initially discussed injecting an antibiotic into my chest which will roughen up the surfaces causing them to adhere and heal.  She said that the injection is extremely painful.  This week more fluid had accumulated (50 ml in 8 days), and she now suggests another surgery, one that burns the surfaces to cause them to stick together.  Obviously, I don't want to have another surgery, have the drainage tube again, and go through recovery.  I am also concerned that the seroma may come back again after the second surgery.  Is it common for a seroma to last for over three months?  Do they eventually heal if left alone, or is surgery or other methods sometimes necessary?  Are these treatments successful?  Thanks!
Sometimes seromas can become quite a problem. Both of the options suggested by your Surgeon might solve the problem. Actually neither would be anything close to your original surgery. I had one drain replaced after both had been removed due to the same problem. They do eventually heal/ the fluid is absorbed but it takes quite some time. If it doesn't improve soon I think I would try one of the suggestions you mentioned. I had an additional surgery several months post mastectomy to remove a flap of skin that was bothersome and had no problem with any further fluid accumulation. I wouldn't say seromas are normal but they are fairly common.  Regards..
Hi Beth
I'm just over a week post op for a bilateral mastectomy and sentinal node biopsy where five nodes were removed. The drains were taken out two days ago due to pain and I'm noticing a buildup of tension and general swellingin my chest/underarm area which is very sensitive to touch.  I also have a 'lump of fatty skin' below my armpit which is swollen,  I'm holding on hoping that it might decrease as there's no obvious area that a doctor might drain.

Nine years ago I had a wide local excision in one breast which had a tumour and also had an axilliary clearance which caused seroma in the armpit which I had drained several times before it stopped. Thanks japdip for your comments about further surgery to remove surplus tissue as I think I'll be experiencing that in a few months time.

Life's a ***** at times but at least we're all still here to tell the tale.  Keep smiling and keep positive I'm sure it helps.

A related discussion, sermoa was started.