Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Phyllodes Tumor

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Phyllodes Tumor
My sister was recently diagnosed with a benign phyllodes tumor, and I just have a few questions. (1) Is this considered a form of breast cancer even though it is benign? (2) From what I have read, even a benign tumor can return, sometimes as a malignancy. How is this possible if it is benign and has been removed? (3) Also, I've read that it can spread through the blood. The information out there tends to put benign and malignant patients together; so, I'm wondering does this possibility exist for patients with benign tumors or just those with malignant tumors? Since this tumor is somewhat rare, it has been hard to find consistent information, not only on the tumor itself, but specifically on the prognosis for benign patients. Any help you can give is very much appreciated. Thanks~Suzanne
Dear Suzanne M.  Phyllodes tumors are not staged in the same manner as breast cancer. The following information regarding phyllodes tumor is directly from the textbook
A related discussion, phyllodes tumor of breast was started.