Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Pleomophoric Microcalcifications - BIRAD 5
About This Forum:

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Pleomophoric Microcalcifications - BIRAD 5

I am 44 years old, pre-menopausal.  I recently had a routine mammogram.  They found "abnormalities" in my right breast and suggested compression magnifications be performed.  I had the additional views taken on Monday.  The radiology report states "a collection of 8 to 10 pleomorphic microcalcifications near the right nipple.  These are highly suspicious for malignancy.  Biopsy is necessary."  The report also states that "there is a re-demonstration of a moderate heterogeneously dense fibroglandular breast parenchymal pattern".  I have an appointment with the surgeon early tomorrow morning and a stereotactic biopsy scheduled for later in the morning.  I know I've read that most microcalcifications are benign, but there is obviously some concern.  I'm sure I'm putting the cart before the horse, but what are the odds that this is DCIS vs. a more invasive tumor?  Are 8 to 10 microcalcifications a few, or a lot?  What are "parehchymal patterns"?  Also, what can I expect from the biopsy itself....recovery time, pain, etc?