Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Pleomorphic calcificaitons
About This Forum:

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Pleomorphic calcificaitons

Last fall I had a mammogram that showed 2 or 3 benign calcifications. Previously I had never had a bad mammogram. No history of breast cancer in my family.  I'm 47, and have always been healthy.  They suggested a 6 month follow up.  It was actually 8 months until I got back there.  Now the most recent mammogram showed a "marked increase in pleomorphic calcifications anteriorly in the left breast.  Calcifications have ductal distribution".  Birad on the first one was 3,  on this one was 4.  I'm going for a biopsy in a few days. How worried should I be? If there are malignant cells, do you think they can be removed successfully and is that something that is done at the time of the biopsy? I appreciate your information
Related Discussions
Dear fooddiva, Microcalcifications are actually pinpoint areas that light up on a mammogram.  These can be clustered together or scattered over a larger area. Microcalcifications tend to cluster around an abnormal area, this is why a biopsy is generally recommended when a
4 Comments
Blank
Dear F.,
I'm 41, also have areas of pleomorphic calcifications, recently biopsied, diagnosed as (palpable) intraductal papillomas with columnar cell changes and they are coming out via needle guided segmental mastectomy, aka lumpectomy, next week.  My surgeon characterized mine as high-risk.  I don't believe the results of my biopsy were conclusive, but I'll know soon.  I also don't have a history of bc in the family.  Your biopsy pathology will give you an indication of the next step. best of luck.
Blank
My biopsy definitely revealed DCIS, which I understand is pre-cancer. I am also scheduled for the lumpectomy to remove the remaining calcifications. What brings on these calcifications? I've been researching it and have yet to find a definite answer. Have you found anything else out?
Blank
A related discussion, Calcifications was started.
Blank
A related discussion, cancer was started.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
How to Silence Your Inner Critic an...
Apr 16 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank