Breast Cancer Community
Polyp in Breast duct

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Polyp in Breast duct

Dr wants to do a "major duct excision" for a polyp in breast duct.  I had a few tiny drops of red blood approx 3 x and nothing for about 3 weeks now.  Never any pain.  I had a mamo and ultra sound and dr. recommends this procedure.  Is it necessary?  Are there any alternatives?  Do they ever just go away? No family history of breast cancer.  

This discussion is related to papillomas.
I am sure that what you are referring as"Polyp" is actually a Papilloma.
To answer your question papillomas do NOT go away on their own.
The primary reason your doctor wants to remove this growth is to make sure that cancer or precancerous cells are not present.The excision of papillomas is the standard of care and the majority of these wart like growth on the lining of the duct are benign in nature.
Please follow your doctor's recommendation so it will be permanently gone from your body and you won't have to worry about it..
Best wishes and good luck!
If what you have is a papilloma (and this is not too clear), it is a kind of cyst. I have quite a few of them. They just sit there and don't do anything. But I have never had one on in my breast. Before contemplating any kind of surgery it would always get a second opinion.
I just read the previous reply that also identifies the polyp as a papilloma.