Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Port placement

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Port placement

I am having a port installed on January 14 for chemotherapy that will last for six months.  I had a lumpectomy and axillary dissection on the left side in December 2001.  After the six months of chemo, I will have a six week course of radiation.  I have also enrolled in a clinical trial which may include weekly Herceptin treatments for up to a year after the chemo has finished.  My question is that I feel that the port should go on the right side of my chest.  Especially if the port remains in while I have radiation, I would think that it should be out of the direct path of the radiation. Thanks for your response.
Dear debden:  There are no hard and fast rules about the placement of a port.  Considerations are clinical situation, surgeon preference and patient preference.  I would think there would be no problem with placing the port on the right.