Port placement
I am having a port installed on January 14 for chemotherapy that will last for six months.  I had a lumpectomy and axillary dissection on the left side in December 2001.  After the six months of chemo, I will have a six week course of radiation.  I have also enrolled in a clinical trial which may include weekly Herceptin treatments for up to a year after the chemo has finished.  My question is that I feel that the port should go on the right side of my chest.  Especially if the port remains in while I have radiation, I would think that it should be out of the direct path of the radiation. Thanks for your response.
Dear debden:  There are no hard and fast rules about the placement of a port.  Considerations are clinical situation, surgeon preference and patient preference.  I would think there would be no problem with placing the port on the right.