Breast Cancer Community
Possible MediPort Issue

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Possible MediPort Issue

I'm scheduled to start chemo on Friday.  I just got the results of my PET/CT scan this afternoon.  There was a comment that the tip of the MediPort put in when I had my mastectomy was overlying the region of the left atrium, raising the possibility of passage of the catheter through an atrial septal defect.

Has anyone heard of this happening?  Since I've been home from the surgery I've noticed I get palpitations sometimes when I lean over while sitting.

The doctor didn't mention this when she gave me the report and I was too overcome with relief that no mets were found that I didn't read the whole report at the time.
Hi there.

Normally, port catheters are threaded into the veins, and the tips of which may lodge in an area of the heart, mostly in the right atrium.  However, if there is indeed an atrial septal defect (a communication or hole between the two atria) then the tip can pass to the left atrium.

Atrial septal defects can indeed be asymptomatic, but I still suggest that you have this evaluated with tests such as a 2D echocardiogram.  Regards.
Thank you for responding.

I've had 2 echocardiograms, a muga scan, a nuclear stress test and countless  EKGs for various issues.  I've had a murmur since childhood and was once diagnosed with a prolapsed valve (hence the echocardiograms), which the last echocardiogram disproved.  I would think with all of this testing an atrial septal defect would have been found by now (I'm 54).

My biggest concern is that the tip is placed in such a postion, it will cause a major crisis on Friday morning.  

I'm still waiting for my doctor to get back to me on this.  
Update:

The doctors have decided to go ahead with the scheduled chemo for this cycle.  I go to see the surgeon, taking my PET/CT scan CD, so he can see what needs to be done.

The oncologist says this will not affect the chemo and the chemo will not affect this, but since I need this port till next Sept, the surgeon should pull the tip back a bit.