Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Post-axillary dissection steps
About This Forum:

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Post-axillary dissection steps

I recently had an axillary lymph node dissection and the biopsy results came back with many infected nodes. Doctor said he was able to remove all the lymph nodes and that it doesn't appear that the cancer has spread according to the biopsy. I want to be sure that the cancer has not metastasized beyond the local area but the only way to be sure, I am told, is to go through the next steps: recovery period of six weeks, followed by radiation, then PET scan, and depending on the results, another round of chemotherapy treatment.

Why does the doctor not order a PET scan before my radiation treatment? What if the cancer has spread between now and the time my radiation treatment is over? To me, it makes much more sense to do a PET scan before radiation to get a better understanding of where the cancer is, if any exists after the dissection.

I would like to hear your thoughts. After having gone through chemotherapy and surgery, I am feeling like there is a longer journey to travel ahead...