Breast Cancer Community
Post menopausal lumps and hardness

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Post menopausal lumps and hardness

Hi all,

Is there any such thing as a benign mass or hardness in the breast of a post menopausal woman? The only information I'm finding would indicate that if a female is 55 or older, any change in her breast tissue is nearly guaranteed to be cancer.
Thanks for any response anyone cares to give.
Annie

I wish someone would answer. I am far from home and terrified. Please give me some sort of response, even if it's discouraging. Maybe everyone else knows the answer and feels it's obvious -- that's not my case or I wouldn't be asking..
Thanks.
Are you on HRT? In the post-menopausal years, the glandular tissue of the breast is largely replaced by fatty tissue. The breasts therefore tend to become less dense usually. But in case of HRT being taken the breasts become more dense and have a lumpiness in some cases. In any case you need to get a screeening mammogram done and follow it up with an annual clinical examination and annual or once in two years repeat mammogram done in discussion with your physician. If you still have doubts you should consult your physician to clear them out. There is no immediate cause of concern or worry and you can relax and schedule an appointment with your physician for a regular check up. Goodluck.
Thanks so much. I was on HRT until my doctor scared the living you-know-what out of me a year ago with breast cancer statistics for women having taken hormones. I had a mammogram in mid-June that was clear; now, however, I seem to have a mass that takes up the entire left breast. I have an appointment for an ultrasound in France in two weeks. I'm praying and keeping everything, including my eyes, firmly crossed.
Thanks again; you are most kind to have answered.
Annie
I am 59 and found a hard lump in my breast about 2 months ago.  I read the same stuff on line that you did about breast masses in older women being predominantly due to malignancy.  Like you, it scared me to death. My breast specialist did a core needle biopsy and the results came back "no evidence of malignancy".  She says she isn't worried but recommends that I have the lump taken out just to be absolutely sure, and that will be done in about a month.  Bottom line - a lump in an older woman is NOT necessarily cancer.  Get it thoroughly checked out, but don't panic.  It could very well be benign.  I will keep you in my prayers.  Please let me know how things turn out for you.

Dear Gam,
Thanks so much for your answer. How relieved you must feel now that you know you're OK! It's tough to get older (I just turned 60 one month ago), and know one's so much more vulnerable to all sorts of nasty things. I will of course take your advice and have this situation very thoroughly checked -- I'm lucky that I can leave my current position in North Africa and go to France were medicine is very, very good. If something untoward is found, I'll go back to the USA for treatment.

I will keep you in my prayers for the surgery as well, and promise to return in January to find out how things went for you (great, I'm sure!), and also to give an update on myself.
Bless you and thanks.
Annie

Sorry, but has there been any speculation as to what type of benign mass you have?
Thanks,
Annie
The pathology report indicated some fat necrosis.  I'm told that is usually the result of some injury to the breast, but that most women who have it do not remember having sustained any injury.  I certainly don't.  

Hang in there and try to think positive thoughts.  I'll keep the prayers coming.
Hi Gam,

Thanks for your answer. You've given me hope -- the breast with all the dense, knotty area is the one that had a cyst excision with radiation therapy when I was sixteen. I also injured that breast later by falling on the stairs, carrying a large stack of clean, folded laundry, ending up with a huge hematoma. Maybe I'll be lucky and get the same answer as you. I can pray and hope.

My prayers are for your surgery to be quick and painless!
Thanks again,
Annie
Sounds like some injury related condition may be a real possibility in your case.  I hope so.  Let me know what you find out, and if I can be of any help in the meantime, please shoot me a note.   Take care of yourself.  Thanks for your prayers.  I'm sure I will be fine, but a whisper in the ear of the Lord never hurts!