Breast Cancer Community
Potential Phyllodes Tumor - 19 year old female

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

I'm a 19 year old female. About a year ago, I was diagnosed with a fibroadenoma and decided I didn't need to have it removed. It was biopsied and everything and I've been following up with ultrasounds to check the area. It didn't grow much between my first and second ultrasound, but I just got back from my third and what was a 1 cm tumor is now 1.5 cm. On top of that, the radiologist said that if a fibroadenoma should grow, it should only grow by 20% in volume in a year, whereas my lump has grown 20% and then some in the past 6 months. She mentioned something called a Phyllodes tumor that can become malignant. I think she said phyllodes.. are there any other types of breast tumors that can become malignant, although they didn't show during the initial biopsy?

I'm meeting with the breast surgeon on Monday, and I just want to have some facts about what we can be dealing with, so any information is great. I'm a bit worried. It also hurts a lot and I just don't want to miss something. I've had bad health and was finally diagnosed with Behcet's Disease, so having another thing to worry about it a little disheartening. Let me know the facts or if theres anyother type of tumor it could be. The radiologist said I need to have it removed ASAP, hence the doctors appointment on Monday.

Thanks for your time - God bless you all!
Tevon
1 Comment
Here is a copy of an article I read recently ... you might get some useful information from it:

"Phyllodes tumors are rare solid lumps that usually present as a mass found during a woman’s breast self-examination or on a routine physical examination. Smaller masses may be detected mammographically. Phyllodes tumors appear very similar to a benign lump known as a fibroadenoma. These lumps are usually well circumscribed and painless. Imaging evaluation including a mammogram and ultrasound is usually performed and when a solid lump is identified a biopsy is important to obtain tissue for accurate diagnosis. A phyllodes tumor cannot be differentiated from a fibroadenoma by a needle biopsy. This means that your doctor may not be able to accurately tell you whether a solid lump is a benign fibroadenoma or a phyllodes tumor. Risk factors for phyllodes tumor are rapid growth and size greater than 2 cms at the time of the evaluation. In many cases your doctor may recommend complete surgical removal of this mass to ensure that it is not an underlying phyllodes tumor.

Phyllodes tumors are not all cancerous. Many will be classified as benign and not require further evaluation. A skilled pathologist is needed to distinguish a benign phyllodes tumor from one with more aggressive malignant potential. In any event, women who undergo surgery for removal of a phyllodes tumor require close surveillance with followup mammogram and physical examination at regular intervals. Malignant phyllodes tumors are best managed with a wide excision of normal breast tissue around the tumor to obtain clean margins. In most cases, radiation therapy is not required. Very large malignant phyllodes tumors may require complete removal of the breast for management."