Precancerous cells
I am a 46 year old female. I had a breast lump removed for precancerous cells 14 months ago. I had my yearly well woman exam and my doctor found another lump in the same breast. I had a mammogram that confirmed the lump and the radiologist suggested a 6 month follow up. My question is should I go ahead and make an appoint to see my breast surgeon or wait 6 months for another mammogram?
Experienced radiologists are quite able to identify typically benign breast lumps depending on their characteristics.If no suspicion is detected a biopsy is not required and a 6 months follow up is standard procedure to make sure that no changes have occurred.
Of course it all depends on how comfortable you feel waiting for your next mammogram.Since the lump that was removed had precancerous cells,I can surely understand that this new lump is worrying you.To have peace of mind,you could certainly take your mammogram films and reports to your breast surgeon for a second opinion and see what he/she recommends.
Wishing you all the best..
Thanks, I'm still undecided but that does help with the decision making.