Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Preventive Action

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Preventive Action

I recently had an excisional surgery and pathology report reads "Complex Fibroadenoma with areas of fibrocystic changes, apocrine metaplasia and intraductal hyperplasia - adjacent tissue also shows fibrocystic change, intraductal hyperplasia and apocrine metaplasia - as I have a strong family history for breast cancer (mother breast cancer/mastectomy, older sister breast cancer/lumpectomy (age 47 )and maternal Aunt who died from breast cancer in her 50's- younger sister currently taking Tamoxifen as preventive - she had a pre cancerous area removed last year ) I am going to see an Oncologist next week- I have my mammo and ultra sound films and my Surgical Pathology report- I am wondering if there is a Surgeons report I should also have? The Pathology report does not have much info on it and I am wondering I the surgeons report would have more info on it that could be useful ? Also is it ok to request that report for my own records or would that be considered unusual? I love this site- it has been very helpful- thanx for any advice!
Dear Pam, The additional information would be helpful, the surgeon's report is the OR report.  If you had a follow-up appointment with the surgeon since then,  there would likely be a note that may summarize the findings.  
Having a report for your own records is not an unusual request.
With our mobile society, frequent changes in health care providers, having all of a person's health care information in one place is rare.  This makes obtaining records more difficult, if you have a copy of your own at least some of the highlights - are available with you.   Frequently people will keep a personal file of their own medical history, this way you keep track of what is going on with you.
It's perfectly acceptable to request copies of any reports for your own records, in fact it's a good idea: it can save time when you see various doctors now or later in life if you can bring relevant documents with you. With respect to the operative report, I'd doubt -- especially since there was no cancer, and therefore the nature of the surgery and findings is less critical -- that it would be particularly useful to the oncologist.
Back in Oct I had a benign complex fibroadenoma removed and pathology indicated Intraductal Hyperlasia- my OB and surgeon both thought nothing of it even though I stressed a strong family history of breast cancer-I spoke with my Mom's oncologist
who thought it would be wise for me to talk to an Oncologist locally ( I am in NH Mom and family are in NJ ) I did find a great oncologist who thought I was borderline candidate for Tamoxifan (tamoxifen) - she had my pathology films looked at by HER pathology dept ( different hospital ) and they indicate there was ATYPICAL ductal hyperplasia- that is all together different correct? And puts me at higher risk- in the mean time I and she felt a small lump on the right breast (surger had been on left)
sent me to a different surgeon and though she felt something she wasnt overwhelmed by it - her suggestion is to have a bi lateral MRI and she is sending my pathology slides to yet another doctor- the pathology "guru" she called him, in Nashville- do you think the MRI is a good thing? Are the pictures more diffinitive? My breasts are small and very dense - mammo's don't pick up much and although the surgeon did an ultrasound yesterday she didn't see anything standing out but when she pressed on the area it hurt- just wondering your thoughts on the MRI and the different pathology reports- your answers are always greatly appreciated
thanx!
I have had the MRI's too and my oncologist is recommending that I have them in combination with ultrasounds since my breasts are very dense.  I had them done prior to lumpectomy in October 2003 and she wants me to have new a baseline done in April with follow-up every year.