Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Problems after Tram Flap Surgery and Hernia Repair

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

I had Tram Flap procedure after left mastectomy in 2002.  I was a very small woman, and all of muscle on right side of abdomen was taken.  Had one hernia repair 2 years, but continue to have major pain in abdominal area.  It also feels as if the muscle cramps underneath new breast and in the "tunnel".  Is it possible to reverse the Tram Flap procedure?  I am facing replacement of mesh to repair hernia a second time.
Dear PhyllisJo:  A Tram flap can be removed but whether it could be reversed is a different question.  This is a question that should be discussed with an experienced plastic surgeon.
I'm in my sixth week after my trans flap breast reconstuction surgery.  I have an fluid drained from my right side three times and had a temperary drain put in. The drain was removed and I have swelling again.  Can my swelling be a hernia this close after my operation.  Thanks for the warning about the chance of a hernia.  I hope that everything goes better for you.
A related discussion, Tram flap breast recontruction was started.
A related discussion, tram pain and disfigurement was started.
A related discussion, Problem with TRAM was started.
A related discussion, Hard bulge in my tummy was started.