Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Prolactin Level and Breast Cancer

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Prolactin Level and Breast Cancer

Approx. 10 years, prior to being diagnosed with breast cancer, I was diagnosed with an elevated prolactin level. MRI showed a 2-3 mm. pituitary microadenoma. Menstrual cycle was regular, very little galactorrhea, and a slight prolactin elevation, thus no treatment was given.  Prolactin levels remained normal to slightly elevated.
This year I was diagnosed with a 1.5 infiltrating ductal carcinoma, poorily differentiated. 1 positive lymph node. ER neg.,PR neg., HER2 neg.  A modified radical mastectomy was performed. Chemotherapy and radiation followed.
My question is  "could there be a connection between elevated prolactin level and breast cancer?"  I do know of 2 other women who have had elevated prolactin levels and breast cancer.
I am 50 years old and would appreciate any comments you may have regarding this subject.   Thank You
Dear L.D.  Although the research has not been entirely conclusive and is still on-going, there is suggestin that high levels of prolactin may contribute to the development and growth of breast cancer.  Of course, there is no way to know for certain if this is the case for you.
HI,
I just did a search for Prolactin levels,because my gynocologist didn't give me much information on it she just told me I had a very high level at 116 and I need to see an Endocrinologist.
But I seen your post under the search I did through a link so I decided to answer your question,I have been through a lot of testing and it came back thank goodness that I have had no lumps through my Mammograms of my breat and my MRI I had no tumors on my Pituitary glands,so from where I stand I would think there was no connection,I just thought that would help U to know.
I will find out more once I get to the specialist.
I might save this and then post back to U.I have a list of mental disorders and the meds I am on ake me forget a lot so If I don't get back to U I am sorry.
LOL
Jan
((((((((((((((HUGZ)))))))))))))
A related discussion, breast cancer and high prolactin? was started.