Prophylactic mastectomy post-surgical swelling
I had bilateral matectomy one month ago with lymph nodes removed from the right arm.

The left arm where the prophylactic surgery was performed has been fine until I went back to work (mostly computer) three days ago. I now have some swelling near the armpit area. Is this a concern, or will it subside if I limit some of the movement?

Thanks to all who respond,

Seeking Experience

Some swelling is common post surgery. But the chances are more in case of lymph node removal or radiation.

What you do is try some exercises, some massage and also try to take beaks when sitting on the computer for long hours.

This shouls help the swelling to subside - but if it still persists, you need to see your surgeon for a post surgical review and follow up.

This would herlp to get a clinical evaluation and also examination to se whether your lesions are healing well and also he/ she would be able to tell you about the swelling you mention.

Do keep us posted about your progress.
Hope this helps.
Good luck.
Hi.
Did you notice if the swelling progressed to involve the arm or forearm?
Edema of the upper extremity develops usually after breast surgery with extensive axillary lymph node dissection.  
There are certain exercises that can minimize the development of edema.  Also, you can apply compressive bandage on the involved extremity to prevent edema formation.  A consult with a rehab medicine specialist may be needed.
Good luck.