Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Protocol for Diagnostic Mammogram

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Protocol for Diagnostic Mammogram

I had a routine mammo on 10/9/06 and was called back to do further imaging (which will be on 10/28).  I received a call today from the nurse for my primary care physician. My PCP wants me to make a follow up appointment with my ob/gyn for after my 10/28 appointment. The nurse said there is a problem with my left breast but she did not know what the problem. Should I be concerned? Is a follow up appointment with an ob/gyn routine after diagnostic mammography?
Dear gromit12,   It is not unusual for a person to be asked to return for a more precise mammogram after a screening mammogram if there are any areas that may be of concern. When this happens, the radiologist will typically call the woman to come back for spot compression where a more specific view of the abnormality can be obtained.  In many cases, the abnormality could be as simple as some tissue that has folded over on itself and will resolve with compression.  However, the spot compression will take a closer look and help to determine if there is an abnormality and whether any additional evaluation is necessary.  

It is difficult to comment on the routines of other facilities. It may be in your situation simply that your PCP wants to be sure that someone is following up on your mammogram results with you - and in your area that may be the ob/gyn.  It is best to check with your PCP for clarification of their recommendations.