Breast Cancer Community
Punch Biopsy for breast cancer?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Punch Biopsy for breast cancer?

I have a hard lump that is affixed to the skin of the side of my breast.  You cannot see it from the surface, but you can feel it, and it is uncomfortable on that side.  I first noticed it 1 1/2 years ago.  My OB thought it was more of a derm issue.  Dermatologist performed a shave biopsy of the skin on top of it, which came back as "scar tissue".  The lump has grown a small bit and still uncomfortable.  The dermatologist did a punch biopsy this time.  Would this be adequate to detect breast cancer?  How do I know that she got the lump inside the punch . . . being that the lump is inside?  I am feeling a bit uneasy . . . I have not had a mammogram because I am not "of age" where that is normally approved by my insurance.

You did not state your age, but normally if a lump is found within the breast (not just on/in the skin), an ultrasound or mammogram will be ordered to see if it shows any suspicious characteristics, even if the person had not reached the age recommended for  beginning screeening  (routime) mammograms.

A punch biopsy would probably not go deep enough to investigate a lesion actually located within the breast.  

If you are not comfortable with your dermatologist's handling of this lump, you might try to get an appointment with a breast specialist, who would have the training and experience to judge whether or not this is a breast issue, and whether any further evaluation is indicated. (And even if s/he also concludes it's more a dermatology issue, at least you would have obtained peace of mind.)

Best wishes...

Thanks bluebutterfly.  I am 35.   Originally, a year and a half ago, my OB thought that because it was affixed to the underside of the skin, it couldn't be cancer, so he sent me on the the derm.  I have been three times about this to the derm.  So, now I have some stiches over the site of the punch biopsy, which make it hard to feel the nodule underneath.  I started to get worried because now I am reading that a hard lump that is affixed to the skin is suspicious.  (It's about 1/2 cm)

I think that you are right.  I probably need to consult with a specialist or push for a mammography referral.  Thanks for the advice.

I have been feeling so fatigued, sometimes dizzy, sometimes chest pain, and I have been chalking it up to being so tired because I have two toddlers, but I can't dismiss that something medical might be going on.  My bloodwork comes out normal, just very low on D, so my general pract. diagnoses me as healthy.

Okay, I have vented,  Sorry.

I really appreciate your response.
You are most welcome.

Those additional symptoms are even more reason to see a breast specialist, because  occasionally women will report having felt similar sypmtoms long  before being dx with BC.

But don't panic--people with anxiety problems, "mothers of two toddlers," and numerous other women trying to balance lots of responsibilities (be it raising a family, managing a home, care-giving to relatives, handling a job, going to school, or whatever),
often feel that way too!  :-(

Please keep us posted regarding what you find out.

Best wishes....
Thanks blue butterfly . . . I'll keep you posted.