Breast Cancer Community
Question about Mammogram

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Question about Mammogram

I have a question about the findings in a mammogram. First of all my mother had a mammogram 6 months ago, and was called back the next day for  another. We were so scared, but  the lady told us that they just didn't get her flat enough. Then, she was still told to come back in 6 months.

Next, when scheduling her appointment the other day, she was told that the findings from her last mammogram was that she had asymmtric scattered granular density in the axillary region of her right breast, and that is why they were scheduling a 6 month follow up.
She has no family history of breast cancer, and she is 57 years old. (never took hormones or anything)
I am very concerned now,
can anyone tell me if this is something to be worried about, or are they just being cautious?
Thanks.
Of course I can't say much about your Mother's situation specifically but anytime an area can't be definitely identified a short term re-check is always advised. IF it had been anything that was very suspicious for cancer I'm sure a biopsy would have been recommended when the first film was done. It's what I would call "Good Medical Care" ... we always worry about anything that seems other than a normal finding so I never tell anyone not to be concerned. Just be sure she follows the recommendations and goes for whatever testing is advised.   Regards ....
Isn't it odd though that they told us after she had been called back and had a diagnostic mammogram done the second time, that they just didn't get her flat enough. They never said anything about any of the other until 6 months later when she called questioning having a re-check.
As a rule there isn't much that is told to the patient at the time of the filming. You should have gotten a detailed report from her prescribing Physician .... you might ask for a copy of the report and then ask her Dr. to explain it in detail so that you can understand more what was found. The Technicians actually are not allowed to reveal much of anything ... that is the Dr.s job and you should always ask and ask until you have all the details.
So far so good,
She was told that nothing had changed in the last 7 months. They did 4 images on a diagnostic mamogram (mammogram), and did an ultrasound.They did look at another small spot next to her nipple, but they did tell her that everything appeared to be normal. Her yearly mamogram (mammogram) would be in another 3 months so they scheduled a bi-lateral screening mamogram (mammogram) for then.
That's good .... having no change is always a desirable result and as you say "so far, so good". Here's hoping that things will continue to be stable and please come back any time you or your Mother have questions or concerns. All the best to you both .....