Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Question on what was found on mammogram

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Question on what was found on mammogram

Could you please help explain what they mean by thickening in the breast.  I had my yearly mammogram done Sept. 11, received a call from the doctor yesterday that the mammogram was incomplete and that they wanted me back for a spot compression film of my left breast, and a true lateral also of the left breast.  With also the possibilty of an ultrasound if necessary. I just came back from these test and I am a little bit still confussed as to what they told me.  I guess more like worried.  They did not do the the ultrasound, but did suggest that I come back in 6 months because they see thickening in the breast.  What exactly does this mean and do you think I should get another opinion at this time or wait?  If there is something there isn't waiting more of a danger? I am 43 and have had mammograms done before so they do have other film to compare it with.

Thanking you in advance for any information you can provide.
Dear sunnygal1, There are certain findings that are more suspicious than others.  Having the spot compression often will clarify an area, sometimes tissue might be folded over on itself then with spot compression it turns out normal.  In your case it does not sound like the spot compression totally clarified the "thickening", and rechecking in 6 months to see if there are changes (rather than waiting an entire year) has been recommended, which depending on the findings is a usual timeframe.  However, without the details of the findings, looking at the films, or comparing them with prior films, it is difficult to comment on the degree of suspicion that this thickening is causing.  If you are not satisfied with the explanation of the findings from the radiologist and your doctor, you may want to seek a second opinion if only for your peace of mind.
I know my situation is different, but I had a breast reduction one year ago and I'm just now feeling a lump in my breast (it was difficult to find because it was very deep). I had an ultrasound ordered by my OB, no mammo, and it was dismissed as possibly glandular or scar tissue, but the results were inconclusive. Since I'm no wallflower, I called my plastic surgeon and he sent me immediately to a breast specialist, because I was concerned about my OB's dismissal of the ultrasound results. I do regular breast exams and the lump just recently presented itself. The breast specialist at the UNBELIEVABLY FABULOUS, Cleveland Clinic Breast Center (the doctors and nurses answering these posts) is taking me seriously despite all evidence that the lump is a result of my surgery (scar tissue).  They did the mammo, compression view, another ultrasound and a physical exam, but the difference is that I'm being seen in four weeks, as a follow-up. Short of a biopsy or lumpectomy, it is sometimes difficult to determine what the lump is, so 6 months is a painfully long time to wait. Just read some of the posts on this site! Good luck and I hope you find a specialist that takes your concerns seriously!
A related discussion, Abnormal mammogram was started.