REMOVAL OF LUMP OR NOT
i have a isodense  well defined mass of 5.0 , 1.9  4,8 cm.9  with gentle lobulations. Within the upper aspect of this mass there is a focal cystic area low level internal echoes.  There are no new microcalciifictions It has remained stable  since November 2010
but has minimally enlarged since 2008 but significantly enlarged since 2005.
It is actually smaller this year as it was 6.2  by 2.3 last  November 2011.
The mass has been biopsed 2 times before and has found to be non cancerous.
It is rated as birads 3.
The radiologistgs have suggested a consultation with a surgeon.
Is is neccessary to remove this lump at this time. I have had if since before 2005 with no pain,
discharge or any other symptom.
I am 54 years old.
I would welcome some feedback on whether this lump should be removed. I have
a preference to leave it alone as I have had it for several years "problem free".
Thank you for your comments.

I really have no idea what the surgeon will recommend concerning this mass in your breast.
Many of us women,prefer to have solid lumps removed (even if probably benign) from our body,because as we age,a mass can change and become more concerning.For this reason,doctors always recommend repeated follow ups and biopsies if needed.In my opinion,stressing over a breast lump,is much worse than having it surgically removed.However I am sure your surgeon will consider your preference and give you the best advice on how to proceed.
All the best...
I have read many of the threads posted on this site and
wonder whether the size of my mass is atypical?
I mentioned that I have had this 5 - 6 cm  mass and
most people have descibed lumps that are much smaller in size.

Can u comment on the size and whether it is possible that
it will decrease in size?
Hi again,
The word "Atypical" means abnormal cells that could be found in any suspicious tissue that is biopsied and examined by a pathologist.It has nothing to do with the size of the mass.
Your breast tumor being 5 or 6 cm is quite large (about 3 inches) .Given that you have this tumor for so many years and it has not disappeared or considerably decreased in size,I would be surprised if your Surgeon would not recommend its removal.
Take care...