Breast Cancer Community
Radial Scar noted with CNB for microcalcifications

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Now what? I recieved this notice this mronong, no cancer found in tissue excised by CNB, but radial scar. Am awaiting call from MD, and looking for answers online. It appears that this added risk for BC can be bilateral, affecting both breasts?
At what point would one consider a bi-lat masecotomy?
Any thoughts on any of this would be greatly appriciated. I read online that this is rare, but see my sisters out there are many!
Thank you in advance for any insight.

This discussion is related to What is the bottom line truths about radial scars?.
Please click on the link below where you'll find several answers to a post similar to yours, concerning "Radial scar".
I hope it helps.

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Breast-Cancer/What-is-the-bottom-line-truths-about-radial-scars/show/1484567#post_7608702

Calcification,are extremely common in the breast, and have many causes. The vast majority are not harmful.Only the ones that grow in a cluster (grouped) are suspicious because they sometimes cluster around a mass.The appearance of  clustered calcification on x-ray, gives clues to the radiologist,but not definite answers,so it is standard procedure in most cases to biopsy the area.The calcification might also have formed because of the lump in your breast which turned up a benign radial scar.
Have you discussed with your doctor what should be done about the radial scar? In my opinion a Mastectomy would be quite drastic,usually a lumpectomy and obtaining clean margin is the recommended treatment.
Wishing you all the best...
Thank you so very much. My concern is that the radial scar does not appear on the digital mammograms or ultrasound. How would they know if they have removed it all when it can not be seen or felt? I am still awaiting a call back from the surgeon to discuss the possible treatments.
Hi again and you welcome.
I am sure an abnormality was seen on mammography or Ultrasound by the radiologist to have recommended a biopsy, which fortunately resulted in benign findings.
You stated that you had a Core needle biopsy (CNB) This type of biopsy is quite reliable,but it takes only a few tissue samples,unlike an excisional biopsy or a lumpectomy that would remove the entire area of abnormality.
Try not to search too much about this problem over the Internet,because it will confuse you more than you can imagine.Each case is different and your doctor will  be the best source of information regarding what step should be taken...He/she will explain everything to you.Complete removal of radial scar tissue is standard procedure,because leaving it there, could increase your risk of developing breast cancer.
I think it would be better to visit you doctor to discuss this issue, face to face.Write a list of questions that you would like to ask,so you can get all the information you need to know.
Take care and good luck.
Thank you. I am taking your advice and will just wait to visit with Dr. The internet is full of info, but just can't tell which is correct.
You are a wonderful person!