Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Radial Sclerosing Lesions

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Radial Sclerosing Lesions

I had a core biopsy on what turned out to be a fibroadenoma.  Then I had a stereotactic biopsy on some diffuse microcalcifications, which also turned out to be benign.  However, the surrounding tissue that was biopsied was diagnosed as "radial sclerosing lesion and columnar cell alteration with microcalcifications and microcyst formation."  The radiologist said that this was also a benign situation but that I needed to have a surgeon remove it.  Two questions: This wasn't seen on the mammogram or ultra-sound but found in pathology.  I understand that it could be or lead to carcinoma, but since it's so small or diffuse or new is it likely? And since it was found in pathology, I guess the sample at least was benign, right?  And how will they find it if it doesn't show up in mammography?  I had a marker put in w/the stereotactic - will they still have to use wires?  I've been anxious for each result and now have one more concern.
Dear Lola52:  A biopsy is done to evaluate an area of concern found either from physical examination (a lump that can be felt), or imaging (i.e. mammogram or ultrasound).  The biopsy takes a sample of tissue from that area of concern.  The findings from the pathology (examination of tissue sample under the microscope) are then put into context of the other findings.  If based on the pathology findings there is concern that the sample missed a problem there may be recommendation for further tissue to clarify any concerns.  It is best to discuss your pathology report with your surgeon who can put it in context of your individual situation for you, and then discuss recommendations as to a next step in evaluation.

Lola, I am waiting for a core biopsy on what sounds like the same problem. Mine appears to be a fibroadenoma that has some microcalcifications due to it deteriorating.  
You must be so relieved to have a benign finding. Hoping I am as fortunate.  I'm surprised that they want to take out your  lesion when it is benign.