Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Radial scar

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Radial scar

I had a stereotactic biopsy for microcalcifications. The biopsy came back benign, but a radial scar was found. I'm scheduled to meet with a surgeon on Feb. 4  to plan for surgery (excisional biopsy)to remove it. I cannot find much information on Radial scars and no threads on this sight. Are Radial scars uncommon and what are the odds of it being cancer and what is the treatment? My understanding is that if it is cancer it is tubular carcinoma, is this right?

Any information would be great. I feel better and empowered with knowledge and understanding.

thanks
Dear 5isgr8, A radial scar is a benign finding. Doctors are not sure how radial scars develop in the breast. They cannot be seen with the naked eye, nor can they be felt in a breast exam. Their name comes from the way they look under the microscope. Compared to normal breast tissue, which shows random clusters of ducts surrounded by supporting connective tissue, radial scars have a core of apparently scarred tissue surrounded by ducts radiating out from the center.  

There has been one study that suggests that the presence of radial scars may increase the risk of developing breast cancer.  This is especially true in women with other risk factors.  

Tubular carcinoma is a type of invasive ductal carcinoma.  This type of breast cancer accounts for no more than 2% of all breast cancer diagnoses.  Based on the above information we cannot speculate on whether or not cancer will be found with the biopsy.
If the radial scars are benign then why an excisional biopsy to remove it?  You said that the presence of RS may increase the risk of developing breast cancer is that because the radial scars themselves can become canserous or is it the tissue around the scar?

What is the difference between an excisional biopsy and a lumpectomy?

thanks for the info.
my 86 yr old mom is  showing a radial scar and I have the same questions as above...where is the answer...and what is suggested for one of her age in good health and how long is one likely to develop into cancer....if incision to examine, then why noy remove?
A related discussion, More questions was started.
A related discussion, radial scars was started.