Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Radiation Dosage
About This Forum:

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Radiation Dosage

Hi,

I Was diagnosed with DCIS on my left breast and have just started what they're estimating will be 6-7 weeks of daily (M-F) radiation.  They said the daily dose I'm receiving is 180.  Can you put that in context for me?  Is it a lot, a little, somewhere in between?  If the mass that they're radiating is important, prior to starting the radiation I had a needle localization excision and two additional re-excisions to get clear margins.  I'd estimate about a quarter of my breast between the center of my chest and my left nipple was removed.

Thanks again for this wonderful forum.  I read it daily.

Kathy
Related Discussions
Dear Kathy Q:  This is standard.  Radiation therapy is delivered in "fractions."  That is, the total dose is divided into smaller increments and given over time.  This is done to minimize side effects.
4 Comments
Blank
Hi,

Anywhere between 180 - 250 cGy(measurement of radiation dose) is normal for treatment of breast cancer.  Having a lower daily dose over more treatments (as you are having) helps to reduce side effect.  All the best with your treatments.

Blank
the total amount of radiation a person receives is a pretty standard calculation; in what increments it's delivered can vary somewhat depending on anatomy and equipment. You are describing standard treatment.
Blank
Thank you so much for your responses.  As always you give information that fights fear with facts.  This forum is awesome!

Kathy Q
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Emotional Eating Control: How to St...