Radiation "boost"
My radiation therapy for Stage 1 grade 2 6-7 mm IDC will have a 6 day boost to the tumor bed.  I go to a local hospital and am wondering is this is the general procedure for most/all breast cancers.  Sentinel node biopsy was clear as were the margins.  From what I was told the radiation could not be electrons but needed to be protons since they penetrate better to the tumor bed which is near the chest wall.  I'd be happy to read any comments.  Thanks.

This discussion is related to Breast lump near chest wall.
I had boost as well for my 10 cm mass. The radiation equipment is laid right on top of your breast or in my case chest since the breast had been removed. They will do a special scan ahead of time to create a metal plate that will allow the boost to only go into a very specific area which was drawn on my chest. It's an intense dose for sure. Make sure your body is completely free of any oil, lotion or residue. My oncologist prescribed silvadene for me to slather on afterwards. Best burn medicine I've ever used. Six days is all you'll have to tolerate of this. You can do it!

Best wishes.
CORRECTION:  I will be receiving photons rather than protons as I was first told.  My doc (radiation onc says that protons are only available in 4 centers throughout the United States.)  He describe a machine which will rotate above my left breast and deliver the rads from different angles.  I guess the plan is individual to each patients needs.  My tumor was fairly deep but hopefully the earlier stage and small size will work to my benefit.

Thanks for your response and good luck to you and everyone else with B.C.