Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Radiation causing thyroid cancer
About This Forum:

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Radiation causing thyroid cancer

Hi, I was dx in 04/2003 with DCIS in my right breast.  35 rad treatments and tamoxifen for 5 years.  (Three down two to go)

Last year my thyroid levels were up, had a ultrasound and thyroid uptake scan and was put on thyroid medication.  This July my endo felt something, and I had another ultrasound and then went straight to a FNA biopsy yesterday for two lesions they found.

The dr performing the biopsy told me that most of these are benign which is the same thing the doctor who did the FNA biopsy for my calcifications said.

My question, I have read that radiation to the breast can cause thyroid cancer.  Would it take three years to develop and would it present as lesions?  I know you can't tell me the results of my biopsy, I just want to know how tyhroid cancer would present itself if the cause was from radiation.

Thank you.