Radiation or Over Kill?
I was diagnosed with DCIS nuclear grade 2 of 3, with comedo necrosis.  The tumor dimension 5mm in
my left breast after having a stereotactic breast biopsy.  I then opted for a lumpectomy which was no
problem at all.  The pathology report from the lumpectomy showed NO abnormalities, only benign adipose
tissue.  That being the case, I have clear margins also.  Recommended is radiation treatment.  Since
the tumor was removed during my stereotatic biopsy and had not grown outside of the duct, I am
reluctant to proceed with radiation, however, I am also to be given tamoxifen since my tumor was
estrogen, progestern (strongly positive).  I am willing to try this medication...  Does anyone have
an opinion if I should have the radiation treatment?  Since this is on my heart side and being that
the tissue probably cannot have radiation more than once, I was thinking of saving radiation for
any future problems should they occur. I am 60 years old and in good health otherwise, and
menopausal.  Thanks so much for your consideration!  

This discussion is related to Should I do radiation therapy?.

I won't offer an opinion, but here is some information for your consideration, from a recent Lancet study:

"Radiotherapy and Tamoxifen Show Long-Term Benefits in Locally Excised Ductal Carcinoma In Situ

A Lancet Oncology study confirms that radiotherapy provides long-term benefits to women with locally excised ductal carcinoma in situ (DCIS), and provides new evidence that tamoxifen helps prevent recurrence as well.

In the study, conducted in the U.K., Australia, and New Zealand, some 1700 women who'd undergone complete local excision of DCIS were randomized to radiotherapy, tamoxifen, both, or neither. During roughly 13 years' follow-up, there were 376 breast cancer diagnoses.

Radiotherapy conferred a nearly 60% reduction in diagnoses, compared with no radiotherapy; benefits were limited to decreases in ipsilateral invasive cancer and ipsilateral DCIS, with no effects on contralateral disease. In addition, tamoxifen conferred about a 30% reduction in diagnoses, with benefits seen for ipsilateral DCIS and contralateral disease. Tamoxifen did not appear to benefit women who also received radiotherapy."

Whatever your decision, my very best wishes,
bb
Some people choose to go the alternative route. I don't know much about it except that my MD who practices alternative medicine favors it. It might be worth looking into. I don't know much about the side effects of radiation. As to chemotherapy, I currently have a niece who had breast cancer who was treated with chemotherapy and radiation. She is currently dying as a result of the chemotherapy, not the cancer. She tests cancer free.

My sister had liver cancer. She had the tumor removed and went the alternative route. It is now almost nine years since the surgery and she is cancer free. Was it because of alternative medicine? No one knows.
A related discussion, Radiation was started.
There was a government meeting in 2009 regarding DCIS that had as one of the Recommendations removing the term Carcinoma from DCIS.

http://consensus.nih.gov/2009/dcis.htm.

A good bit of recommendations and information available here.  Read, and carefully digest.  I wish I had had been armed with this when I listened to Surgeon.