Breast Cancer Community
Radiation therapy only for DCIS

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Radiation therapy only for DCIS

Has anyone been treated with radiation therapy only for DCIS?
Avatar n tn
I have DCIS non invasive. Had 2 lumpectomies one to get clear margins and am now being treated with radiation.
Are you saying no surgery and just radiation? I suppose if the DCIS was small enough radiation may be effective? Mine was wide spread and surgeon was able to remove all of it from the 2 lumpectomies.
I too had a lumpectomy to be sure of clear margins, and then radiation treatment along with 5 years of taking tamoxifen.
Avatar n tn
Yes, I was wondering about radiation only and no surgery. I guess that probably is not a treatment option.
Thanks for your replies.
Avatar n tn
also have dcis and have had lumpectomy and now going to start radiation--mine was 1.7 cm -- maybe yours is very small so no surgery was required
Avatar n tn
A related discussion, radio therapy and DCIS was started.
A related discussion, Radiation to same breast that was radiated 2 years ago was started.