Breast Cancer Community
Radiation

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Radiation

Had lump removed 8/22/2012. Moderatley invasive ductal carcinoma in situ (DCIS) Risidual size 0.65. HER2 is negative. Proliferation index (K1-67) is negative. Tumor suppressor gene is negative. Margins are clear. Lymph nodes are clear.

Should I do the radiation for 5 weeks? Or just have mamo's

This discussion is related to Radiation or Over Kill?.
With DCIS only, lumpectomy alone carries special concerns and considerations. Because the remaining breast tissue is not treated with any other intervention, there is the possibility that if the woman lives many more years, she can develop cancer — either DCIS or invasive cancer in the same breast.

Even with  adding  radiation therapy to lumpectomy for DCIS, about 8% to 10% of women will have a recurrence in the treated breast and half of the women who have recurrence will have invasive cancer when the cancer returns.

Apparently you had an invasive component in addition to DCIS, which would be an even stronger indication for radiation therapy.

What have you been advised by your surgeon?
Hi.
Ductal Carcinoma In Situ (DCIS) is a noninvasive carcinoma.
In general, ductal carcinoma in situ is treated with lumpectomy AND radiation therapy.
There is currently no consensus regarding the optimal treatment of DCIS,but I am sure your Oncologist has advised you about radiation therapy to prevent recurrence.You should discuss your treatment plan and options with your team of doctors to weigh all the risks and benefits  in your particular case.If you have any doubts,you could certainly seek a second opinion concerning the best treatment for you.
Wishing you all the best!
thank you so much for your reply. Guess I am just scared. Doctor said if I don't do the radiation then a masectomy is next. So I am going for the radiation.  Thank you again
Thank you for replying to my question about radiation. Guess I am just scared. Going to begin on October 8th. Medical onogologist has me doing B12 shots twice a week for 4 weeks. Then of course the 5 year pill after radiation.  thank you!!
Sharon,

Something you've never been through is often scary to anticipate.

The daily txs can be inconvenient, but most people don't find them too difficult, and some of our members have had their txs early in the morning and then gone on to work.

I hope your treatments go smoothly, and afterwards you can take comfort in the fact that by accepting both radiation and hormone-suppressing medication, you have done all you can to lower your risk of recurrence.

Wishing you all the best,
bb
You welcome Sharon,
I had radiation therapy for 4 weeks and believe me it's really not a big deal.I am sure that all will go well for you too...
Please come back to us to tell us how you are doing.
All the best to you!