Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Radiation
About This Forum:

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Radiation

Sir:  I have metastisis to the distal femur, it was radiated.  On my last petscan it showed a suspicious new small spot within the same radiated field which was perfectly round, does cancer ever show up in that manner? Can that area be radiated again? I hear some people say that after radiation their lesions disappear, mine still looks the same as before it was radiated.  Is this normal?  Thank you.
Related Discussions
Dear Dulin:  Exact interpretation would be best left to the radiologist.  Often, there is evidence of bone healing but still some radiographical abnormality.  It is possible for cancer to arise in a previously radiated area.  Radiation cannot usually be repeated, although this depends upon the dose received.  You might be best advised to have a discussion with your radiation oncologist.
2 Comments
Blank
Radiation is given to the maximum dose the first time around, in most cases. If that dose is exceeded, there's a high chance of serious damage to the tissues in the area. Metastatic tumors (ones that have spread from somewhere else) are often round. Not all tumors respond as hoped; however, it's possible that change may take place slowly, or that rather than shrinking the tumor,  the radiation may stop or slow growth.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...
Jul 20 by John C Hagan III, MD, FACS, FAAOBlank