Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Radiology report
About This Forum:

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Radiology report

I just picked up the copy of the report from the radiologist after getting a diagnostic mammogram.Here are some of the comments after my first screening mammogram:
~~~"...upper outer quadrant of the right breast there is a group of calcifications. Although not quite as tightly clustered as might be typically expected for carcinoma, these calcifications are somewhat pleomorphic." "Scattered elements of increased density consistent with fibroglandular tissue are noted bilaterally, expecially in the upper outer quadrants. No significant asymmetry of the breast parenchymal pattern is demonstrated."
These are comments after a diagnostic mammogram:  ~~~"...a localized grouping of microcalcifications which are in a segmental distributions. These do not layer on the 90 degree lateral view and some of the calcifications occupy a linear configuration." (I will be getting a stereotactic needle core biopsy.) "The patient will likely require 2 separate incisions as the calcifications extend over a course of nearly 2 cm."
   What does all of this mean in terms of the chance that I may have DCIS? I am only 35 years old and simply followed my ob-gyn's instructions to get a screening mammogram! My biposy is not scheduled until March 12 - should I call back and ask for an earlier date? Or does it much matter?  
I also had mastitis the day I came home from the hospital 4 years ago after delivering my daughter. Would this infection cause the type of calcifications they are reporting? By the way, the BI-RADS code is 4. Any additional comments would be much appreciated! Thanks so much!