Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Rapid, large painful lump

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Rapid, large painful lump

I am 41yo, heathly woman. Baseline mammogram in mid 30's, and one a year ago. Dec 03, annual with OBGYN, with breast exam.  Never been pregnant.  On birthcontrol for 1 1/2 years. No history of Breast Cancer, or any other cancers - Except - my mother died 1 year ago from Ovarian.  One ramdon incident, the experts say. Her mother is 92 and very healthy, and her sister is 60+ and very healthy.

Literally, over a period of a few days a large sore lump appeared in my left breast - top are towards breast bone. It wasn't there last week.

Talk about scared. The mammogram & ultra sound has been scheduled, but the waiting is killing me.

Any thoughts that might help ease my mind?  What can come up that fast, and with some pain?  A cyst?

Thank You!

Dear knitter: A large and sore lump can be several things, a cyst, infection, and even malignancy (although this is not the typical picture).  You are doing the right thing by having it evaluated.  You do not mention a timetable for these exams but if it is really delayed, you might call your doctor and see if it can be rescheduled sooner - to ease your mind.
Yes, a cyst is much more likely than cancer. In fact, it's my view that when there's a large painful lump that's easy to see, it makes a lot more sense to see someone BEFORE the mammogram and ultrasound: if it's a cyst, it can be made to go away in two seconds by inserting a needle: it's both diagnostic and therapeutic. Then, depending on the situation, you can have the mammogram after it's gone to check. If it were possible to see a breast expert in a more timely manner than the xrays, that's the way I'd go. But not all locations handle such things the same way: I'd tend to work such people into my schedule. Meanwhile, take some comfort in knowing that a sudden lump is HIGHLY unlikely to be cancer.
My thanks to you and the medical team for such reassuring words.

Last Thursday I had a mammogram and ultrasound.  In ultrasound the lump was diagnosed as a fluid filled cyst, and it was drained on the spot.  I received the lab results today; both fluid and tissue biopsies found no cancerous cells. Follow up ultrasound in 3 months.

My thanks again for helping women with health concerns.