Rapid, large painful lump
I am 41yo, heathly woman. Baseline mammogram in mid 30's, and one a year ago. Dec 03, annual with OBGYN, with breast exam.  Never been pregnant.  On birthcontrol for 1 1/2 years. No history of Breast Cancer, or any other cancers - Except - my mother died 1 year ago from Ovarian.  One ramdon incident, the experts say. Her mother is 92 and very healthy, and her sister is 60+ and very healthy.

Literally, over a period of a few days a large sore lump appeared in my left breast - top are towards breast bone. It wasn't there last week.

Talk about scared. The mammogram & ultra sound has been scheduled, but the waiting is killing me.

Any thoughts that might help ease my mind?  What can come up that fast, and with some pain?  A cyst?

Thank You!

Dear knitter: A large and sore lump can be several things, a cyst, infection, and even malignancy (although this is not the typical picture).  You are doing the right thing by having it evaluated.  You do not mention a timetable for these exams but if it is really delayed, you might call your doctor and see if it can be rescheduled sooner - to ease your mind.
Yes, a cyst is much more likely than cancer. In fact, it's my view that when there's a large painful lump that's easy to see, it makes a lot more sense to see someone BEFORE the mammogram and ultrasound: if it's a cyst, it can be made to go away in two seconds by inserting a needle: it's both diagnostic and therapeutic. Then, depending on the situation, you can have the mammogram after it's gone to check. If it were possible to see a breast expert in a more timely manner than the xrays, that's the way I'd go. But not all locations handle such things the same way: I'd tend to work such people into my schedule. Meanwhile, take some comfort in knowing that a sudden lump is HIGHLY unlikely to be cancer.
My thanks to you and the medical team for such reassuring words.

Last Thursday I had a mammogram and ultrasound.  In ultrasound the lump was diagnosed as a fluid filled cyst, and it was drained on the spot.  I received the lab results today; both fluid and tissue biopsies found no cancerous cells. Follow up ultrasound in 3 months.

My thanks again for helping women with health concerns.