Rash on Right Breast
Hi everyone,

I would truly appreciate your input or experiences with this.

Two months ago my right breast became very itchy. A rash on my right areola (dark area around the nipple) would come and go.

Starting a month ago, this rash wouldn't go away. It's not oozing or anything, but this rash has gotten darker. It covers about 1/3 of my areola and it randomly hurts. It's a sharp pain that doesn't last very long, but it's like needles poking it. The pain only occurs where the rash is. There is no sign of a rash on my nipple so the rash is only on the areola.

Now my right breast has this dark spot that covers a part of my areola which occasionally itches or hurts. My nipple is left in tact and there is no sign of discharge.

I'm turning 49 this year and when I saw my doctor last month she sent me to get my mammogram and ultrasound which both came out good. My general doctor kind of dismissed it when she saw it and said that the skin on my right breast is dry and that I should rub vaseline on it.

I'm wondering what this rash is because it really has me worried. I think I'm starting my menopause process because my periods are becoming more frequent. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it but I'm just pointing it out. I'm getting periods once every 3 weeks.

I was just wondering what this could be. It almost looks like a bruise covering 1/3 of my right areola

Thank you for your time and help
Hi there.

Rashes like these are ore commonly due to contact dermatitis which can be an allergic reaction to overlying garments.  However, an uncommon condition called Paget's disease of the breast can present in this manner and should be assessed by your doctor.  Paget's disease can be diagnosed through a biopsy procedure.

Regards.