Re granulomatous mastitis
Does granulomatous mastitis start as a lump that is hard and undefined and detached from the chest?  And can it eventually develop into abcesses like the tumor is heading?

This discussion is related to granulomatous mastitis.
Granulomatous mastitis is complicated by the fact that the condition mimics breast cancer.Several different tests are required to confirm a diagnosis and decide on the best treatment plan.
In granulomatous mastitis, you may experience discharge from the breast, along with tenderness in the breast and inflammation, which can cause the breast to feel hot to the touch.
Usually a mass can be felt inside the breast and it can feel quite similar to a tumor.Your doctor may recommend testing such as an imaging study to look inside the breast and a biopsy to examine cells taken from the mass of tissue.The biopsy result will show if the mass is granulomatous in nature.
Med Help has a Forum "User Group"that deals specifically with this condition and you might find it helpful.You could also post in that forum to get additional information.
Please click on the link below.

http://www.medhelp.org/forums/granulomatous-mastitis/show/707

Best wishes.
Thank you for the information!
I have IGM.  It does mimic breast cancer and it usually takes a very long time to run it's course.  Surgery is often not a good choice because it takes a lot longer for the area to heal (usually months) after even the most minor procedure.  Even though it usually only affects one breast, in my case both were affected, one at a time.   This is my second year into this disease, and it will likely take at least another year (if I'm lucky) for it to come to an end.  If you've been diagnosed with it recently, don't discourage, things do get better after a while....