Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Reactive Lymph Nodes
About This Forum:

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Reactive Lymph Nodes

Could you please explain, in lay terms, what my pathology report read as "Fat Necrosis, Lymph Node(s) Exhibiting Reactive Follicular Hyperplasia."  I'm a 38 yr old, breast reduction two years ago, sister w/DCIS age 40. Found a rubbery mass near armpit, Diagnostic mammo/ultrasound clear, but noted dense breasts, assymetry, which my radiologist said was very common post breast surgery.  Surgeon agreed to remove mass, which ended up to be quite large, 3.2 x 2.0. She assured me the findings were very benign, and my surgery/fat necrosis in the breast area are the most likely reason the nodes were enlarged. Does your clinic demand a DEFINITIVE answer as to why nodes in this area are enlarged, or should I be satisfied with "the most likely" answer? Do doctors ever know the definitive reason for node enlargement, or is this the best answer I should expect?