Breast Cancer Community
Recommendation for a third breast biopsy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

12/30/09
Core needle biopsy and placement of titanium clip.
1/5/10
I was told by a radiologist at the center that performed the core needle biopsy that the diagnosis was precancerous and that I had atypical ductal hyperplasia and Papiloma. That I needed an excisional biopsy and that after the excisional biopsy there was approx a 20% chance that my diagnosis would change to cancer. During this follow up visit I was spoken to by a Radiologist and an RN. I was surprised and scared.
2/4/10
Wire guided excisional biopsy.
The surgical biopsy was performed on the left breast. The surgeon placed the wire using Ultrasound in the OR after I was out.
2/9/10
I was called by someone in the surgeon's office and told that the results of my excisional biopsy were benign and by the way my post surgical follow up was on 2/11/10.
2/11/10, the surgeon told me that though it had seemed during the surgery that she had removed the correct tissue with the titanium clip that the pathology report showed no sign of the previous biopsy or of the clip.
I was completely surprised and told her that I didn't understand. She said that the pathology report showed no sign of the "biopsy vault" or the clip. I had never heard about a biopsy vault before so I remember.  She said I needed to have another mammogram in one month time and then return to her office with the films.  
Please doctors, should I have a second opinion, change the surgeon and your opinions on these procedures will be very welcomed and helpful. Please help me!
I have setup the appointment for the follow up mammography, but when I did the scheduler said my insurance company likely would not pay for it because it is too soon after the surgery, but that I could just pay for it.

I've already been billed almost $3,000.  I can't afford to pay for everything else without insurance.
I already posted this info here.  I didn't mean to post it again.  I wanted to post for the doctors to answer.
The first thing I would do if I were you is get a copy of my charts. I would not tell the doctor or even ask her or anyone there but get it directly from the administrative offices. say you are just keeping, or wanting to keep track for your personal information and that is all you need to say. (I mean all charts from all involved) Then, when you get them and have looked at them, you go from there as in talking to the surgeon or an administrator if you think a mistake was made. Katrin