Breast Cancer Community
Reconstruction or not

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Reconstruction or not

I am to have major surgery next week.  
Until tomorrow I will not know if it is to be single or bilateral mastectomy. At this point I do not know if the glands are involved, I will not know that until I come round from the anaesthetic.  
Although reconstruction has been discussed with me, I am still undecided what to do.  Time is running out as I have only until Tuesday to give final answer.  I am given to understand it is quite painful afterwards and will also take some time to adjust to the feel of the reconstruction as it will feel very differemt,  Also the risk of possible infection. Also further operations down the line.
The Hospital and my nurse have been wonderful and have kept me informed at all times.
Unfortunately I am not a very decisive person, and as much as I do not want to admit it I am just a little apprehensive about the whole procedure.  
If your surgery date is this close and you are so apprehensive I would say NO. You can have reconstruction at any time after your initial surgery and any treatment that may be necessary after that. Evidently you have not had a consultation with a Plastic Surgeon and that would certainly be an initial step in the process of reconstruction. It is true that complications are an issue for some women as well as the type of reconstruction you either choose or is recommended for you. It isn't a quick one time procedure at times either. I'm sure you realize that this decision is entirely up to you but with your surgery date so close all the preliminaries should have been done by now and not in such a rush. All the best for your upcoming surgery and a speedy recovery.  
Thank you for replying.  
Although my op is close, they did go through everything with me and explained everything in great detail.  Those looking after me have been great and have kept me informed of everything.

However, it is not an issue now it has been taken out of my hands.  A skin biopsy of the skin came back cancerous, therefore, reconstruction is not available to me.

I am very upset at this moment in time as I have just learned this about five minutes ago.

I was apprehensive about it but had decided last evening that that was the best option for me and had finally felt quite at ease with it.  But it is not meant to be.  I have to get my head around it now.

The most important thing is that the canceer is out of my body.
I'm so sorry that you have gotten this bad news but now the decision has been made for you and your concentration is now on, as you say, ridding your body of the cancer .... what may or may not be possible later is set aside. I sounds as though you are receiving excellent medical care and have a good team to guide you. You also seem to have the "right" attitude ... just deal with what you have and take it one step at a time. Don't ever think think that a good positive fighting attitude doesn't count because it is VERY important as you proceed along this path. Keep us posted and come back anytime you have some question or concern or just want to vent. That's what we're here for and we have all traveled the same path in one form or another and we're here to help others along the way to the best of our ability. Take care ...