Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Recovering from a mastectomy
About This Forum:

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Recovering from a mastectomy

My grandmother has recently been diagnosed with breast cancer.  She has had a biopsy and discovered she must have further treatment.  Her choices are either a mastectomy (with removal of the lymph nodes) or a lumpectomy and radiation.  My grandmother is 80 years old and in very good health.  She is leaning towards the mastectomy, but is weary of the recovery from such a surgery.  What is involved in the recovery from a mastectomy and how difficult is it?