Breast Cancer Community
Recovery Time for Breast Lump Removal

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Recovery Time for Breast Lump Removal

I'm having a breast lump removed on Friday.  My doctor told me that we would just play it by ear as to how long I'd need to be off of work.  As of right now I have taken Friday and Monday off.  I'm a teacher so I have to prepare lesson plans for any days that I'll be out of school.

My questions are  for anyone who has had a lumpectomy...Will 4 days be a long enough time for me to heal, or should I prepare sub plans for  a longer amount of time?  How long did it take you to recover?
I went into hospital on a Sunday and had my lumpectomy on a Monday.  I was released from hospital on the Thursday once my drain was removed.  I had no complications and did not need pain relief.  Everyone is different.  However I think I would give yourself an extra day off work, just to give you a chance to recover.  Anesthetics affect everyone differently, again I had no side effects, however I have know many who take longer to recovery from an anesthetic, my mother being one of those people.

Best of luck to you.

Thanks for your reply.  My surgeon never mentioned a drain.  I'm having it done as an outpatient surgery.
I had a lumpectomy as an outpatient - on a Friday.  I was a bit tired over the weekend, but that was it.   You should be fine with the time off you have planned.  

Best of luck to you!
Thanks for your reply.  I'm glad to hear that your recovery has been an easy one!  That makes me feel a lot better.  I have two kids (ages 2 and 5) who love to climb all over me - LOL!  I was hoping I wouldn't miss out on too many hugs from them!
I had an outpatient removal of a lump(excisional biopsy) from my right breast last Thursday. I did not have a drain. I was tired and had some discomfort on Friday and Saturday but by Sunday I was doing well. I feel almost normal today(Monday) except for the gnawing anxiety waiting for the results! I should find out Wednesday when I see my surgeon again. The only advice I was given was to avoid doing any heavy lifting for a few weeks. I think the hardest part of the whole experience is the wait for the pathology report! Best of luck to you!
I too have two boys.  They were 23 months and 4.5 at the time of my diagnosis.  They love to jump on me all the time playing power rangers, but I have to say they were very good after my operation.  They just jumped on my left side!!!!

Show the kids the bandage and they will understand quick enough.  The more hugs you get the better.  My boys got me through my 8 month ordeal.  They keep you focused and make you get on with life.  After all you are still their Mammy and expect you to do most of the same things you have always done at their ages.

Good luck.
Thanks for all of the replies!  I had the surgery on Friday.  I'm a big whimp so I pretty much spent the whole weekend in bed!  LOL!  Sunday afternoon I finally started getting up and moving around some.  The surgeon told my husband that he was 99% sure it wasn't cancer, his exact words were that he'd be "stunned" if it turned out to be cancer.  I had my follow up appointment this morning and officially got the good news that it wasn't cancerous!  He said I have a very common condition called fibrocystic disease.

I feel like a huge weight has been lifted off of me!
Congratulations ... and don't worry about being a wimp (your word). I had more discomfort when I had my excisional biopsy (a sizeable lumpectomy really) than with my mastectomy.Glad to hear the good news !!!!
So glad to hear your results! My biopsy on May 1st had an area that was either ADH or DCIS-the local pathologist wasn't sure-so he sent it to UCSF to have it analyzed by their experts. I'm still waiting and wish I had the final pathology report--this waiting is getting old! I have had some problems with the incision and am heading back to the surgeon today--an end of my "subcutaneous" sutures broke through the skin. Such a fun time I'm having! I had my breast MRI yesterday so am waiting to hear if that showed anything. I admire all the women on this site for their courage and patience. I'm a former RN and must admit that I never understood how stressful this whole process can be. I know I can deal with whatever it turns out to be(prophylactic mastectomy is looking VERY good now!) but I wish I knew!
I am having a total masectomy plus lymph node. How long willit take to recover. ***@****
I had my mastectomy on a Thursday and was back to work the following Friday. They made me wait for the drain tubes to come out before I could go to work. I will say it was a tiring Friday for me but come the following Monday, I was fit and ready to work. Basically I missed 6 business days.

Everyone is different. Best of luck to you :)