Breast Cancer Community
Recurrance rates for grade one breast cancer

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

I have read, much to my surprise, that grade one, er+,pr+, her2 neg breast cancer has a higher rate of recurrance than grade 2 or 3.  I am very puzzled and dismayed by this news as I was told my recurrance rate was low due to hormone positive, low grade cancer.  I did have a sentinal node microscopically positive, but the oncologist treated me with 4xTC and I am on Arimidex.   I had a bilateral mastectomy because I chose to do so.  I am 2 and 1/2 years out and was feeling pretty good about things until I read the recent posting on M.D. Anderson's site about this surprising discovery.  I guess I couldn't have treated it anymore aggressively but what is a person suppose to think?  I admit I am terrified of recurrance.
05cats
You have to remember that statistics are just that and so many factors are used in studies to obtain them. I never deal in statistics ...... it's much to broad a field to compare one person to all the data that was used to come up with a figure. To answer you question "what is a person supposed to think?" ..... I think very often that we think way too much. I also think you would have been much better off if you hadn't read that ... there is such a thing as TOO much information so I think one should take it all with a grain of salt or not read it at all. Better to concentrate on "you" than those studied to come up with a number.  Regards .....
I know what you say is true.  It seems like cancer is always on your mind after you have been through it.   I came across this by accident looking for some info for a friend.  You are right,  sometimes we are better off not knowing some facts.

05cats
It isn't necessarily that we're better off not knowing some things but so few things actually apply to us as an individual. So many cases are used and averages are taken to apply the results to one person just doesn't work.   Best wishes....