Breast Cancer Community
Recurrent Breast Infection

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Recurrent Breast Infection

I posted this to the ask a doc forum but also wanted your input. Sorry for the lengthy post.

I had a lump in my right breast in October.I had a mammogram, ultrasound, and biopsy. The doctor told me it was a cyst and would go away with antibiotics. I took them and even though to me it still felt like there may have been a little left she said it was gone. She did an ultrasound and said it was gone. I had a breast reduction scheduled  for the end of December. I went ahead with the reduction and the plastic surgeon said he didnt see anything when he went in. I developed another lump in the same breast about 3 weeks ago. The lump is very hard and behind and on the side of my nipple. it is also very large. I went to a different breast surgeon one I'd used for a previous (non-breast) surgery. She did an ultrasound and decided to put me on antibiotics (Keflex). She said it was cellulitis. I began the Keflex and a week later the skin began to thin and I could see pus trying to break through. I called her office, she was out so they scheduled me with one of her collegues. He did an incision and drained the pus. He bandaged me and told me how to care for the wound. Now, here I am a week later and the hard large lump is still there. The incision is just about healed but I swear it seems as though there is another area about to break open!! I have my follow up appointment tomorrow. I want them to deal with this thing more seriously!!

I am soooo frustrated. Why cant they just cut it open and see what it is and remove it once and for all? What should I say to them when I go in tomorrow??
1 Comment
You communicated your needs beautifully right here, and the statement is clear and simple and totally rational. I would either make a copy of your post or otherwise say it just as you wrote, to the doctor, tomorrow.

Good luck and let us know what happens?

KAT