Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Red, Itchy Rash on my left Breast

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Red, Itchy Rash on my left Breast

I am 27 years old and about 2 weeks ago I developed a red itchy rash on my left breast...its just like any normal rash, not that bad. But I scratch so hard that my fingernails make it bleed...it was in one spot and now is moving around my breast! I keep spreading it I guess my scratching... To be honest I haven't put anything on it...I put some cream on it today but to soon to tell.

Today I looked it up on the internet and came across all types of Breast Cancer details and I got scared. My dad died about 3 years ago of lung, liver and stomach cancer. Could I have cancer? Is that was this rash is? Like I said it is a normal rash, nothing unusual about it. I do scratch too hard and make it bruise (I bruise easily)...and bleed.

I am very scared, I currently don't have insurance, so a doctor bill or hospital bill would be too much right now...but as I said I am very scared.

Is this is sign of breast cancer? A normal red rash that just happens to be on my left breast?
Dear sissyO75, Given your age, it is most likely that this is, in fact, a rash.  Common skin problems can occur anywhere including your breast.  Inflammatory breast cancer, which presents as a swollen, red, warm to touch breast, is uncommon.  However, it would be in your best interest to have this checked by a physician.  If it looks to be a common dermatitis a cream may be prescribed that will relieve the itching and aid in healing.  It will also provide an opportunity to be certain this rash does not represent something more concerning.

red, itchy breat could indicate inflammatory breast cancer...get it checked right away...get biopsy done...my mom has inflammatory and was diagnosed very late