Breast Cancer Community
Red spot areola

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Red spot areola

This has been bothering me for quite some time - but around last year, I had two small bumps underneath the surface of the areola on one of my breasts. They remained for a long time, and because I was stupid, I thought they were a form of acne (which sometimes occurred near the area) and picked at them. Now, the bumps are still there, but around them there is redness, almost like inflammation. The area doesn't hurt in any way, neither do the bumps, but the redness has simply not gone away.

It doesn't seem to me like it is a scar/hyper-pigmentation because it is more of a darker pink than a brown, but it isn't fading. I'm upset about this because it's been so long, and I'm aware most people will say I should just accept it and be comfortable, but I was wondering, if the redness is not a scar/permanent, is there any way or hope of it going away, if I see a doctor, or will they just dismiss it? Something to lighten the little spot, reduce the redness, or perhaps soothe the skin to lessen its visibility?

Any help at all is greatly appreciated!
1 Comment
Hi there.

These events in your breasts should not be dismissed as something simple.  An inflammation that does not subside can indicate a chronic infection (bacterial, or even fungal) or it can be a sign of malignancy.  I suggest you take this to your doctor to have the proper evaluation.  He can request tests like mammogram or ultrasound depending on the situation or what he thinks is necessary.  He may prescribe antibiotics if he thinks this is an infection, or have this biopsied if he thinks it is something else.  For now I suggest to stop any form of manipulation since this can just aggravate the situation.

Regards.