Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Relationship between DCIS and IBC

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Relationship between DCIS and IBC

I was diagnosed with DCIS this past April.  I had a stereotactic biopsy, then wide tissue excision and then 7 weeks of radiation.  It was a very low stage of cancer and I was declared cured.  I didn't have any problems with the radiation or side effects.  I am now taking tamoxifen.

This November I developed a rash on the same breast as the DCIS.  I was treated with antibiotics which really didn't help, but the rash did eventually go away.  Since then I have had a clear discharge from that nipple which will crust up, I have had burning sensations, fullness sensation, and itchiness.  These symptoms don't happen all the time, but they never occurred before the rash.  The underside of the breast is red/brownish and under my arm is red, but no raised bumps.

I went online and these symptoms seem very similar to Inflammatory Breast Cancer, so my question is how likely would it be to get a different type of cancer in a breast that had just been treated and while using tamoxifen?
Dear ceegee:  Inflammatory breast cancer presents as a rash that does not heal, the breast is also usually swollen and hot to touch.  It may or may not be itchy.  The key, here, is that the symptoms do not go away.  While it is not impossible to get a second cancer, even during therapy, I am not convinced that your symptoms represent inflammatory breast cancer.  Nonetheless, you should see your doctor, preferably a breast specialist, and have these symptoms evaluated.