Repeat Baseline Mammogram
I am 35 years old and just had my first (baseline) mammogram this week.  The radiology department contacted me the day after and said they will need an additional view on the left breast because it was dense.  What does this exactly mean?  Is this common?  I have a history of fibrostic breast changes and stopped breastfeeding about 4-5 months ago.  She then told me to schedule an ultrasound just in case the radiologist needed one.  Thanks for your information.

Mammograms are not able to view the breast lesions accurately in case of dense breast tissue which is seen in case of young females usually.

Additional views taken could probably help in such cases. Also, additional views are also taken if an area appears suspicious or not clear. This must be the area of fibrocystic changes that you mention, most probably.

You should get the repeat mammogram done and ask for a report from the lab. Discuss the report with your doctor and post it to us here.

Let us know if you have any other doubts.

Regards.