Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Repeat scans

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Repeat scans

I just completed a Cytoxan/Adriamycin regimen and my oncologist is going to repeat only the CT scan before I start on the Paclitaxel.  I had a Pet Scan, a MUGA scan and an MRI of the brain before I started the first regimen.  Is it common to just re-do one of the scans?  Just curious.  My oncologist's explanation was reasonable at the time, but now (thanks to chemo brain, I think) none of it is making much sense.

Thank you.
Dear pedinurse:  If the chemotherapy is adjuvant chemotherapy and there is no evidence of disease, there may or may not be a need to do any scanning at all.  Different oncologists approach scanning differently and you may want to discuss this again with your doctor.