Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Ribs weakened by Radiation
About This Forum:

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Ribs weakened by Radiation

In 2003, I had a lumpectomy,lymph node disection, chemo, and radiation.  The radiation deformed my breast and weakened my ribs.  Three ribs fractured (underarm). Presently I'm trying Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy and Zometa. Also considering nerve blocks.  My goal is to heal and have breast reconstruction with a tissue expander and implant.  Any suggestions on how to strengthen ribs to allow the use of the tissue expander?
Related Discussions
Dear osteoradionecrosis:  Osteoradionecrosis is a condition of bone injury caused by high doses of radiation.  It is believed that the blood supply to the bone is reduced such that the bone damage exceeds the bones ability to repair itself.  It is most common in the mandible, occurring after radiation to the jaw and is often triggered by tooth extraction, although it can occur in any area that has received high doses of radiation and may also occur spontaneously.  To date, there are no "cures" for this condition.  Some have responded to hyperbaric oxygen therapy.  You might discuss options for reconstruction with a plastic surgeon who is experienced in dealing with tissue that has previously been radiated.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Emotional Eating Control: How to St...
Aug 28 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank